Writing blogs is not just about what you are writing about. There is some planning involved in-order to make your blog not just informative but pleasing to your reader. When organizing your posts, I’m sure you are thinking about items like:
- Related Topics
But one item to think about is the Featured Image. If you don’t spend some time thinking about this, your blog may not look as sleek or clean as it could be. Usually the theme that you are using has already set how it displays the featured image however you may have to take it a set further.
Hopefully you use a program like Photoshop or Fireworks or another image-type software. Make a template that fits what you are looking to do. For example, if a box for your featured image works, set up a .psd file and do the following steps:
- Set the canvas to dimensions of 250px x 250px (or whatever size your prefer).
- Copy and paste the image that you would like to use for the featured image.
- Create a rectangle over the image and make the color a color that goes with your theme.
- Change the fill of that rectangle to 80%.
- Add some text above the rectangle using a font that goes with your theme.
- Be creative here, think of this space as like a short headline to attract readers to your article.
- Save the image to your gallery in WordPress.
- Edit your post and use the new image as your featured image.
- Redo steps 2-7 for all your articles.
- Save the .psd for future use on your future articles.
- DONE !!
Now your home page to your WordPress blog will have featured images that are all uniform, making it cleaner and visually nicer.
If you have any questions regarding how to do this, please comment below. If you have your own tips on how you use featured images, I would love to hear them.